These area-specific curettes are for removing deep subgingival calculus and for finishing subgingival root surfaces.
Instructions for Calculus Removal
- Put the tip third or half of the cutting edge against the tooth. (The larger outer curve is always the cutting edge.)
- Make sure the lower shank is parallel with the tooth surface.
- Apply moderate lateral pressure and use vertical, diagonal or horizontal strokes. (For root planing apply light lateral pressure.)
- Working surface inclined 20 degrees to the lower shank
- One curved cutting edge (red line)
- Rounded cutting tip
Area-Specific Indications for Gracey Curettes